Sunday 17 May 2009

Topics Covered



1. Data types, Variables and Standard I/O: I covered this one a while back. I learned basic concepts like C++ and the details of a 'Hello, World!' code. I just wish I could learn more about the preprocessor directive (#include) but apparently I will in the future when I'm ready. I found this great site that's got data types in detail is from cplusplus.com

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/variables/

2. Truth, branching and game loops: Ah, now I'm getting warm. I finally cover the basics of what I believe I'll be using a lot in game programming. Note to self - Must pick up randomizers quick. Logical operators, switch statements and basic loops (if, while, do) are the order of the day.

3. For loops, strings and arrays: Call me dumb, but arrays have always been the bane of my existence. But since I started taking my training seriously, I realized they are not so bad. Even multidimensional arrays don't trouble me anymore. All it takes is focus and practise. For loops, I hear, are some of the most used devices in the game programming industry.

4. Standard Template Library: I'm still in this chapter. All (good) compilers usually grant the users access to a library of codes for future use. APIs like DirectX and OpenGL also make use of this concept but also offer images and soud for game programmers, but I digress. For now, I'm happy with a basic library, just to know what the hell I'm doing. I covered drawing on the library for components such as randomizers (ctime, cstdlib) and containers like vectors.
A good site for downloading great templates is SourceForge -

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=c%2B%2B

I just got into Algorithms. If you are tired of long-ass blog entries, never fear. I was simply filling you in on what's been done so far (see entry topic), so bring on the late nights and throbbing headaches. I was born for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment