Thursday 14 May 2009

So Far

Right now, I've got about 4 months to get up to speed before university woes ensue. My focus is the C++ Programming language. I've got so much material on C++, but very few of them actually make any kind of sense to me. At a glance, my library contains
- Jamsa Klander's C/C++ Programmer's Bible
- Beginning C++ Through Game Programming (Second Edition by Michael Dawson)
- NIIT's Programming in C++ Vol 1
- The C++ Programming Language (Third Edition) (by the creator of C++ - Bjarne Stroustrup)

and a plethora of site links, which I will fill you in on as I progress. Over time and trial and error, I have come to the conclusion that the absolute best start based on my resources would be Beginning C++ Through Game Programming. It's like £25 brand new and £15 fairly used, but you must get it with the CD which contains all the tutorial codes (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginning-Through-Game-Programming-Second/dp/1598633600/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1242298458&sr=8-1)

The book starts real slow which suits me to a point (hey, self taught C++ ain't no walk in the park you know) but picks up speed about three chapters in and just keeps gathering speed. It's important that you don't miss anything or skip any chapters to avoid getting stumped later.

When I'm done with this book, I believe I will be decent enough to proceed with Jamsa Klander's book. For now, I've got work to do (no I mean real, part-time Debenhams work. Night Shift can be a real energy burner) Next time, I'll go into detail on my training. For now, ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment